Nguồn: Carlyle A. Thayer Brief
Ngày 31 tháng 7 năm 2018
THE 15TH ASEAN-CHINA SENIOR OFFICIALS’ MEETING ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE DECLARATION ON THE CONDUCT OF PARTIES IN THE SOUTH CHINA SEA (SOM-DOC)
27 June 2018, Changsha, China
1. The 15th SOM-DOC was co-chaired by Singapore, the Country Coordinator for ASEAN-China Dialogue Relations, and China. Delegations from all ASEAN Member States, China and representatives from the ASEAN Secretariat were present at the Meeting.
AGENDA ITEM 1: ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
2. The Meeting adopted the Agenda.
AGENDA ITEM 2: BUSINESS ARRANGEMENTS
3. The Meeting was held in Plenary.
AGENDA ITEM 3: IMPLEMENTATION OF THE DECLARATION ON THE CONDUCT OF PARTIES IN THE SOUTH CHINA SEA (DOC)
4. The Meeting endorsed the Work Plan on the Implementation of the DOC (2016-2018).
5. The Meeting also noted the updates from the ASEAN-China Joint Working Group on the Implementation of the DOC (JWG-DOC) Co-Chairs on the two ad-hoc technical meetings, which were held in conjunction with the 24th JWG-DOC on 25 June on a voluntary and ad-hoc basis. The technical officials discussed the following two topics: i) Marine Environmental Protection; and (ii) Safety of Navigation. Some parties encouraged the convening of ad-hoc technical meetings to enhance practical cooperation for the benefit of DOC implementation.
6. The Meeting had an exchange of views on the situation in the South China Sea and acknowledged the progress in the implementation of the DOC and the negotiations of the COC. The Meeting also emphasised the importance of the full and effective implementation of the DOC, freedom of navigation and overflight, and peaceful resolution of disputes, in accordance with international law, including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Some parties also reiterated the importance of self-restraint and non-militarisation and of refraining from actions that would escalate tensions in the South China Sea.
7. The Meeting endorsed the following key decisions:
(i) All parties shall keep the Single Draft COC Negotiating Text strictly confidential throughout the entire process of COC negotiations;
(ii) The Single Draft COC Negotiating Text will be the basis of COC negotiations. The Single Draft COC Negotiating Text will be a living document. All parties reserved the right to consult with their domestic agencies and submit new or revised input;
(iii) The Single Draft COC Negotiating Text will be submitted to the ASEAN-China Post Ministerial Conference (PMC) in August 2018 for notation. The announcement that ASEAN Member States and China had a Single Draft COC Negotiating Text will be reserved for the ASEAN-China PMC; and
(iv) There will be at least three readings of the Single Draft COCNegotiating Text. While the draft text will be submitted to the SOM-DOC after each reading, the JWG-DOC will not be precluded from surfacing issues on the COC to the SOM-DOC for consideration and guidance while each reading is underway.
AGENDA ITEM 5: ANY OTHER MATTERS
8. The Meeting noted that Cambodia would host the 25th JWG-DOC Meeting from 1 to 2 September 2018 in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
9. The Meeting noted that the Philippines would host the 26th JWG-DOCMeeting, which would be held back-to-back with the 16th SOM-DOC, from23 to 26 October 2018 in Manila, the Philippines.
AGENDA ITEM 6: FINALISATION AND ADOPTION OF REPORT
10. The Meeting finalised and adopted the Report.
11. ASEAN Member States expressed appreciation to the Government of the People’s Republic of China for the warm hospitality extended to all delegations and excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
Nguồn toàn văn văn bản: Carlyle A. Thayer, “ASEAN & China Senior Officials Agree on Single Draft South China Sea Code of Conduct,” Thayer Consultancy Background Report , January 24, 2018.
Bài liên quan: